A selection of recent articles, essays and reviews:
- "Drive Safely!", The Island Review, 2017.
- Why I Love ... Fair Isle, The Guardian, 2016.
- The Nameless Loch, Fallon's Angler issue 8 (not available online).
- The Magic of an Island: for the Scottish Book Trust.
- A review of Louise Gray's The Ethical Carnivore for Caught By The River, 2016.
- The Fear of a Retreat: a blog about the RLS Fellowship for the Scottish Book Trust
- An introduction to Wendell Berry's The Art of the Commonplace for Caught By The River's Nature Book Reader.
- The Way to My Grandparents' House, for the Scottish Book Trust's 'Journeys' project.
- Tom Nairn, in Darkness and Light, for Scottish Review of Books, 2014.
- First thoughts on the independence referendum result, and the way forward from here, for National Collective, 2014
- Review of The Fly Trap by Fredrick Sjoberg, Caught by the River, 2014
- Northern Lights: review of The Literature of Shetland in Scottish Review of Books, 2014
- So Long As We Can Imagine Better We Can Make Better: why I am voting Yes to Scottish independence. National Collective, 2014
- True North: why there is no need for 'island referendums'. Bella Caledonia, 2014
- Where I Write: a blog post for the Scottish Book Trust, 2014
- Farson's way: a profile of Negley Farson, writer, wanderer and angler. Caught By the River, 2013
- Islands Voices: on the Our Islands, Our Future autonomy campaign. Bella Caledonia, 2013
- A comment piece for The Guardian on Shetland 'home rule', 2013
The Things Around Me
The Things Around Me was a 'nature writing' collaboration with ornithologist and artist Will Miles. From the autumn of 2011 to the spring of 2012 I wrote a series of essays about a Shetland garden – its wildlife and plants, and the experience of getting to know the place. The essays can be read here.
My columns for the New Statesman, from 2007, can be read here.
A selection of my articles and editorials from Shetland Life magazine:
- Of Poets and Dolls: Lemn Sissay and the nature of racism in Shetland
- West, to Greenland
- What is a Community?