The Un-Discovered Islands (2016)
Illustrated Book of the Year, Edward Stanford Awards
Acclaim and reviews
Slate Magazine selected a sentence from The Un-Discovered Islands as one of the "19 best sentences of 2017". You can read the full list here.
- One of the "best new travel books" The Guardian.
- "A book as thought-provoking as it is engaging, as smart as it is funny, created with real devotion and writerly skill" Doug Johnstone, The Big Issue.
- "Malachy Tallack is an engaging and fluent writer of essential kindliness" John MacLeod, The Scottish Review of Books.
- "This is a splendid and wistful book" The Spectator.
- "It's a joy to island-hop through the book" National Geographic Traveller.
- "intrepid intellectual fun ... Katie Scott’s bold illustrations give an exotic colour to the pages" The Herald.
- "Tallack teases all this out with great wit and subtlety" The Scotsman.
- "Tallack presents these tall tales with tremendous eloquence" Wanderlust magazine.
- Picked for Best Travel Books of 2016, The Telegraph.
- Straddling the line between profound examination of the human imagination and coffee table book, Malachy Tallack’s second publication is a strangely engrossing beast.’ The Shetland Times.
- "a beautiful and fascinating read" Books & Socks.
- "This is as much a cultural and intellectual history as it is a playful geographical exploration of the imagination." Spectrum Culture.